Tu veux me rouler dans la farine ?

I scooted off to the Mediterranean last weekend to hunt for stock, revelling in the unexpectedly hot sunshine.


I am always looking for the exceptional 19th Century embroidery that is increasingly hard to find. So I was delighted when I spied a linen sheet with a beautifully embroidered return. I always ask to open the sheets up and check for wear or damage and sellers are usually more than happy to oblige, but this lady behaved very strangely, everytime I asked to inspect the sheet properly she told me how beautiful it was, so I picked it up and started to unfold it, then she grabbed it and opened the top section  keeping the rest looped over her arm. It became almost comical as she twisted and turned to avoid letting me see the considerable damage. She was pressing me to buy (at a perfect price as well!) and visibly wilted when I said 'Tu veux me rouler dans la farine Madame? ' and walked away. (It means literally 'do you want to roll me in flour?' or 'do you take me for a mug?'. I hope she didn't catch another unsuspecting customer later.

I managed to visit lots of fleamarkets and brocantes before a leisurely lunch,  spending the afternoons on the beach. The Autumn colours against the clear blue skies were inspirational.

Lazy village markets selling the last of the grapes bursting with sunny sweetness.
And every kind of olive you can think of.
I ate lots of fresh fish and paddled in the sea. It was only three nights but I feel  as if I have had a much longer relaxing holiday.


I did mange to find some honest sellers and bought some spectacular linens that I shall be listing for you this week.

Comments