How I reduced my coffee consumption, this might surprise you

How can you resist a cup of coffee made from freshly ground beans?

It is one of the pleasures of travelling around France looking for lovely things to sell.

Then I discovered http://www.graindecafe.com/ and got a tad carried away with my order. Seduced by the descriptions I ordered a big selection that I am slowly working my way through. Sheer bliss. The good news is that they post overseas so you can share the experience!

I grind them in an antique Peugeot grinder, filling my kitchen with heady aromas.
The flavours are as rich and varied as fine wines.

Since then, I've found myself grimacing at the coffees on offer in bars and restaurants, ranging from weak and insipid to bitter and over roasted. One of the most memorable managed a punch of bitter coffee with an aftertaste  reminiscent of Gitane cigarettes. I just keep thinking 'I can do better than this at home' and now I just order water.

There is nothing quite like grinding your own beans and I have sourced some really evocative coffee grinders to sell on cherchez-chic . They have all been thoroughly cleaned,(this is important, there is nothing worse than the lingering taste of some ancient coffee long gone rancid) serviced and tested. Practical as well as decorative. An instant way to create an authentic vintage French moment.


Comments