Winter whites

Winter has finally arrived. I woke early to find Job snuggled under a thick blanket of snow that made the journey down the mountain a tad hair raising. Despite snow tyres there was one spine tingling moment when the car slid on a patch of black ice beneath the snow, a steep drop to one side giving an added frisson.


Down in the valley, it felt like a different country. Several degrees warmer and much less snow. You can always spot us 'montagnards' in town. We are the shaggy looking people with a deep thatch of snow on the car roof, muffled in woolly scarves, gloves and duvet coats.

It was well worth the effort. I came back laden with goodies to list for you this week. Some superb embroidery,  large sets of gorgeous 19th Century napkins and some magnificent sheets amongst other things.

Back home it was bitterly cold overnight with lots more snow and a biting North wind. I love that snug safe feeling, store cupboards and freezers full, a huge pile of logs, candles, just in case,  and a parcel of books sent by my lovely sister. But I can't enjoy it until I'm sure my neighbours (the adorable Papys) are okay, the feral cats have food and shelter and there is plenty of food for the wild birds. OH commented yesterday that he's glad there aren't any bigger wild animals living nearby, otherwise we would be bankrupt.


Comments